I love the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote, “Insist on yourself, never imitate”. To me, these are pure words of wisdom. If only all of us could apply that wisdom every single day.
I also really like the way my friend Randy Gage put it in one of his recent newsletters. He wrote, Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. Same sound principle and just as strong a message.
It’s like the nutshell version of the meaning of your life. If you have ever wondered what your true purpose on this planet is, I would say it’s this…figure out who you are and get about the business of being the best version of that person that you possibly can.
Unfortunately, it seems that all of us get caught up most of the time trying to be something other than who we really are. We try to act like someone else, or sound like someone else, or just flat out be like someone else. How foolish is that?
Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there’s anything foolish at all in trying to emulate the successful qualities or habits of others who have achieved those things that we also wish to accomplish. I just think it’s foolish to try and do it without applying our own very unique style or utilizing our own unique gifts.
You see, if you strive to achieve anything without being the person that you truly are, then you’re cheating yourself. You’re failing to use all of the tools you’ve been blessed with. And ultimately, you will fall short of your potential.
You really need to embrace YOU.
You have dreams, desires, and things that make your heart beat fast. You have passion and deep down inside you know what you were born to do.
I believe that your ability to dream about doing or having anything in life is in direct proportion to your ability to attain it. Your wiring is pretty phenomenal. And the key to all of your personal success really lies in your ability to tap into that wiring.
So how do you do it? Well, at risk of making it sound too easy, I’m going to give you what I believe are the 5 steps to becoming the best version of YOU that could ever exist in this world. And if you will apply this knowledge to your life, you will be on your way to the kind of success that you’ve only dreamed of, to this point. I’m sure that sounds awesome to you, so here are the steps:
1. Know what it is you want to achieve. This sounds very easy, but in reality it is almost always the toughest part of the formula for your success in life. A lot of people think they know what they want, and even believe that they’re already pursuing it. Often they end up finding out that they are chasing someone else’s dream or doing those things that someone else told them were important. They are not tapping into their own passion. In short, they are imitating. Maybe you’ve been doing the same. Stop doing that.
2. Know why you want to achieve it. It’s one thing to say, I want a million dollars. It’s something entirely different to say, I want enough money to design and create my own camp for under privileged kids, because children are my passion. I want to make a difference in this world, and I feel my talent is working with young people. Do you hear the difference and see how it makes it more compelling? That is a key. It has to become something that you not only want, but something that you will pursue with persistence and never let up until it has come to pass. You have to be self-motivated by your desire to achieve.
3. Believe in yourself. All of the tools necessary for you to accomplish the most daring dreams you’ve ever had or to achieve the most lofty goals you’ve ever written down are right there within you. The magic, the ability, the talent, the guts, the stamina, the motivation, the heart, the character, and the mojo are contained inside of you. You are amazing. You are unique. And right now, you’re simply waiting to become the most awesome version of you. Believe it!
4. Have a plan and get started. You may have heard Tony Robbins talk about a “massive action plan” or heard Joe Vitale say you need to take “inspired action“. Well, that’s exactly what I’m talking about here. The key to all of this is putting it in motion. You may not know exactly what to do, but if you formulate a plan based on what you are passionate about and start taking action, the opportunities will begin to present themselves. The people and resources you need have a miraculous way of gravitating toward you when you are moving forward and following your heart. It won’t be smooth sailing, as you might imagine, and that’s why the 5th step becomes so crucial for you to understand.
5. Know that failure is a vital part of success. Defeat is only temporary. Failure is the word we use to describe falling short of our ultimate goal. And you need to begin to see failure in an even truer light. Failure is your opportunity to learn and grow. Don’t miss the opportunities. Falling short of your goal at any point along the way only means you haven’t achieved at the highest level yet. It certainly doesn’t mean you haven’t become better, stronger, smarter, or closer to achievement. Because the fact is, you will have become all of those things…if you’re paying attention. Become conscious of this truth.
And now, it’s up to you.
Never imitate. What the world really needs are people who have become inspired to be exactly who they really are. Make it happen!