If you can change your perspective, you can change your circumstance. No matter what it is.
Bold thing to say, right? And I suppose that I should follow that type of statement up with something like, “of course it’s easier said than done”. The thing is, I don’t even know if I believe the whole easier said thing. As far as I can tell, something is only easier said than done if you don’t ever do it. Know what I mean?
The truth is that we’ve all become conditioned to react to circumstances in a certain way. We hear specific words, or we perceive situations to be similar to ones we’ve dealt with in the past, and we begin to feel and think in the way we’ve trained ourselves to feel and think.
I heard someone once call it “borrowing trouble”. In other words, we start to imagine the worst possible outcome, without any vision beyond what is right in front of our nose.
Seeing beyond the current situation and envisioning an even greater ultimate outcome is an ability that I truly believe has to be learned. It has to be practiced and it has to become a habit.
Additionally, a very key component to learning how to change your circumstance is understanding that you have complete control over your emotions and your feelings.
You don’t have to feel any certain way about any certain thing that happens around you or even happens to you. You just do it because, much like Pavlov’s dog after years of experimenting, you’ve been responding to that external stimulus for a long time. You’ve seen others do it, you’ve done it yourself, and it feels comfortable in a really weird way. Even though it hasn’t dome anything to garner great results.
We instinctively begin to think, “this sucks” or “this is exactly what I was afraid of”. We imagine to ourselves, “what if…(fill in the blank with any negative twist)”
Can you say counter-productive?
The lousy results we often end up achieving and the monumental shortfalls we all experience can likely be traced back to our inability to control out thoughts and emotions as we navigate through this journey called life.
If you believe like I do, that only about 10% of life is what happens, and the other 90% is how we react to it and the actions we take moving forward…then why do we let that 10% cause us so much stress, grief, sorrow and why are we allowing that 10% to take control of our minds?
As far as I’m concerned, the easy part is getting back in touch with the core principle that we are in control, and to the degree that we can see beyond the seemingly lousy, we can also become unbelievably successful.
Imagine that the next crazy situation that pops up in your life might be the one that allows you to grow the most, and the one that puts you on the road to becoming the individual you know you can really be. And then take it a step beyond imagination and start visualizing that type of result. Consider that if you are ever going to grow beyond the things you have accomplished in your life already, some things are going to have to change. You’re going to have to get stronger, smarter, and more motivated to take yourself to the next plateau. It’s just a fact of life.
Happiness is a mindset. You could choose to be happy, no matter what is happening around you. You just don’t make this choice, the vast majority of the time.
If you want things to get better for you, it has to get better from the inside out. Don’t allow anything or anyone to make you feel a particular way. They only have that power if you relinquish your own personal responsibility and give it over to them. You don’t have to do that. However, you do have to wake up and become conscious of the control you have over yourself. Control and discipline will be your tools.
So hey, what if you read this post and don’t change a damn thing? Look. that’s a very real possibility, considering how few people really commit to taking charge and personal responsibility for their happiness and their achievement of amazing things. So, what if…?
I’d say that you’re destine then to repeat the same mistakes of the past. You’ll continue to react the way you’ve always reacted, there won’t be any new earth-shattering results in your life and you’ll probably never taste the sweet victory of success at a high level.
Now…What if you do? What if you make the conscious decision to control yourself and by virtue of that, start to control your circumstances.
Well, in my opinion, I’d say you would be putting yourself on the right track. And you might even say that it was easier to do that just talk about.
Change your perspective. Change your life.